Compliance checking (for auditing, fraud
- Audits are performed to ascertain the validity and reliability of information about organizations and their associated processes.
- The audits help in checking whether business processes are executed within certain boundaries set by managers, governments, and other stakeholders.
Evaluating process discovery results/algorithms:
- Comparing discovered process models with the data used to learn the model or with unseen test data.
- Evaluating a model or an algorithm (see k-fold cross-validation).
- Conformance to specification (software, services, etc.)
"A nice analogy that tells the difference between token-replay and alignments is searching for a particular place (e.g., a restaurant) in a city: in token-replay, you decide the direction to take just by looking at what you see. With alignments, you take your mobile phone and look at Google Maps, which will tell the optimal route (but pays the price of connecting to a GPS, download the city map, etc. …)"